Video Of IKON’s B.I. ‘Coming Out’ Attracts Attention, Fans Have Mixed Responses

2018-11-16T23:09:42+00:00November 16th, 2018|Categories: Kpop|Tags: , |

In today’s news of whats angering the internet we have iKON’s B.I. y’all!

Recently, a video by a twitter user that was about iKON attracted lots of attention.

The video was of iKON who were playing a game where they had to get people to say a particular word, a game many idols play.

iKON’s B.I. was given the word ‘heol’ which stands for OMG, or “are you kidding?” the word is used to express excitement or sheer shock.

So, he called his mother and played a ‘prank’ on her, he came out as gay; the members were dying in laughter while he was trying to convince his mother he was gay to get a reaction out of her, specifically the word ‘heol.’

He said,

“Mom, I actually like men!”

Here is a translation of the script as well as the video:

In the end poor B.I. was not able to get his mother to say the sentence and he ended up losing the game.

Kpop fans have split opinions on this one, some saying it was a joke while others says it was homophobic of him, and there are others who are upset they are making a joke out of such a serious matter.

The clip in question is said to be very old, a very old clip. Some iKONICs are even convinced someone was trying to take the group down by bringing up such an old clip to life to create drama.

My Thoughts

I don’t think B.I. meant any harm or was making fun of the entire LGBT community. I think he chose this particularly because Asian parents are more conservative and this will bring out a reaction from them easily, he wanted to win the game and this was one of the ways he could.

Although, I do understand why there would be a backlash because sometimes when people come out, they end up severely hurt, outcast and in the worst case, dead!

I think people are reading too much into this and its not that big of a deal! It might be because I am not easily offended by it. I do understand some of the backlash but I wouldn’t go so far to label him a homophobic simply because he joked about coming out.

It was for entertainment purposes. No one back then batted an eye for what B.I. said, why are some trying to stir controversy now?

What do you personally think of this?

8 Comments

1. Fam November 17, 2018 6:37 am at 6:37 am - Reply

Hanbin he’s realllyy amazing.

2. Alyssa November 17, 2018 6:45 pm at 6:45 pm - Reply

I see literally no problem with this at all. Go on YouTube and see how many coming out pranks you can find. I’m certain there’s plenty.

Sure I understand how it could be seen as offensive to “make fun” of LGBT people and the struggle and difficulty of coming out but that’s not what he’s doing. He simply used a topic and conversation that he felt would get the appropriate reaction out of his mother, a (presumably) older Korean woman who was raised among standards where being gay is a very big deal.

I feel like this is hardly different from a straight actor portraying a role as a gay character. He took on a role for a specific purpose, it doesn’t matter if it was a game or not.

• Jazmine K November 17, 2018 7:40 pm at 7:40 pm - Reply

yup! some people are too darn sensitive

3. Jess D November 17, 2018 7:53 pm at 7:53 pm - Reply

I see nothing wrong with it. People need to stop getting their panties in a twist. People always find something to complain about.

4. Ann November 18, 2018 8:10 am at 8:10 am - Reply

As a member of the LGTBQ+ Community I totally understand all the hate he’s getting,but considering it’s an old video and the culture of Asian countries I don’t take offense from this at all

5. Asma November 18, 2018 10:49 am at 10:49 am - Reply

I see nothing wrong with what he did. Why is saying you’re gay a serious matter? That only means gay people are ashamed of themselves!
    These jokes happen every single day, even I joke to it to my gay friend. Kpop is getting so boring because fans are trying to make something out of everything leave the boys please they were laughing so well until this stupid backlash.

6. _banguser_ November 18, 2018 4:58 pm at 4:58 pm - Reply

IT’S A JOKE!! COME ON EVERYONE WHO IS FRM THE COMM. KNOWS THIS SOUGHT shit OF RUNNS IN THE FAMILY. So chill no one’s gonna die!! Koreans need to relax their minds because I can bet u no Korean person fmr the lgbt community will take this offensively so people who don’t really know the community can shut their mouths. Simple.

7. Camille November 19, 2018 1:26 am at 1:26 am - Reply

I have been having the same opinion since this news came out. Homophobic is a stretch and you cant label someone a homophobe without proper evidence. It’s a word that has been thrown around a lot. I see how this would be sensitive for some people but to me it isnt that much of a big deal unless he said “kill all the gays” or something along those lines. It is just a joke.