As previously reported, former Highlight member Junhyung has departed his group after admitting to viewing illegally filmed footage given to him by Jung Joon Young.

His agency released a statement announcing his departure and explaining why they claimed the first SBS report was false. In his own statement, Junhyung wrote an apology to fans explaining his level of involvement in this matter, Admitting to his mistakes, he also announced his departure from Highlight.





Here is the full translated statement:

“Hello, this is Junhyung.

First of all, I would like to sincerely apologize to the members and all the fans who have had a hard time because of me the past few days.

I received a phone call from my company on March 11 after SBS 8 o’clock news broadcast asking me to confirm the facts, back then I didn’t really understand the point and only conveyed that I wasn’t in the chat room. The agency took my side and said ‘the press release is incorrect.’ I had misinterpreted it.

When I talked to the company about making my official statement, I told them the conversations were back in 2016 because I no longer had the chat conversation history with Jung Joon Young. I couldn’t confirm the date at that time; I apologize for having this added to the confusion of people.

At the end of 2015, the conversations with me and Jung Joon Young were on the next day after the drinking gathering I went to, after going home the next day I asked him how he was doing and he said that he got caught filming illegal footage and I replied with ‘caught by her?’

I never received a video on that kakao conversation but I received other videos. We also had inappropriate conversations about it. All of these behaviors were so immoral and I was stupid. I am at fault for not treating it as a big deal without thinking this was a crime and a criminal act.

Yesterday, I went to be questioned by police as a witness on the issue. I talked about everything I know without lies and fully cooperated with the investigation. I was also able to see exactly what conversations I had with him in the past, I was embarrassed and felt horrified.

I have never committed a criminal act such as taking pictures or spreading them. In addition, starting from the end of 2016, I have only kept a relationship with Jung Joon Young in such a way that I only greeted him every once and a while.

However, although I knew what was happening during that time, I thought it wasn’t a big deal and acted at ease. I was acquiescent to this serious matter and my actions may have led to more victims suffering.”





He ended his statement apologizing to fans once again; he announced his departure from the group to protect the members and the fans. He said,

“I realize the seriousness of this issue and I don’t want to inflict any further damage to my fans and members who have been disappointed by me.”

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by HIGHLIGHT (@bigbadboii) on


How do you feel about this?


My Personal Thoughts

Out of everyone involved in this so far, he is the most shocking name, this horrifies me!

I used to be a fan of him; I loved his music and thought he was an introvert gentleman. Seeing this apology rips my heart to pieces. I now question everything.

When the first statement came out, I believed the agency because I thought I knew him enough to know he had nothing to do with it (oh boy, was I wrong or what!). However, so far, a lot of what SBS reported turned out to be true.

I am extremely sad by the news but seriously fuck my feelings, can we talk about the victims?

This is whom I feel most apologetic to. The first one to have told people about it back in 2015-2016 was treated like a psycho girlfriend who did it on impulse and what’s worse is that it seems that a lot of idols knew about this and kept silent… this in itself horrifies me! Knowing that idols I cherish and spend time stanning, defending, promoting and listening to their music could do such things… they knew about it yet no one said anything.





Okay, let’s forget saying something; let’s say for some reason they couldn’t… the least they could do was shut him down, not engage in conversations about the girls with him… what about human decency?

I don’t know how responsible is Junhyung in the eyes of the law and I refrain from speculating on this subject, I think we should wait for police statements.

But reading his statement that he writes ‘not a big deal’ is a HUGE WARNING sign, like how is it not a big deal? if you have respect for women how can you not think this was a big deal? What if it happened to your mom or sister? Would you still not consider it a big deal?

There is a difference between knowing it’s a big deal but keeping silent and considering it ‘not a big deal’ there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!





I am furious, I am disappointed and I am disgusted. However, I know my feelings don’t matter, what I wish for is for every idol who knew about this or participated in this to be caught and prosecuted, it doesn’t matter how big or small they are, everybody who had anything to do with this, I hope they get caught and prosecuted. That’s the least police could do to victims who must feel shame reading these statements.

SBS said that many victims had no idea and found out through the news, imagine that, let that sink in!!!

I feel so apologetic, I am a woman before a kpop fan, I hope these idols get punished rightfully to the fullest extent depending on their involvement.